Saturday, July 31, 2010

Why do people use a service like this for medical advice?

Especially about pregnancy and the like. Why would you ever, ever trust some random online person to help you with a medical situation?Why do people use a service like this for medical advice?
Because people, for the most part, are all stupid, and most liekly have an idea of what they already want to hear before they get on here and ask there question, so as long as they can get some aprroving conformation, even if its from a stranger, they are more then willing to except.Why do people use a service like this for medical advice?
I think that's the point of having people list their sources.
because, unfortunately, medical assistance now a days has turned into a business opportunity rather than a source to get better. Additionaly, due to the high rates, many don't have insurance and seek to get better perhaps through home remedies or such that someone like me or the rest of the community might know. Remember, we all have moms, aunts, sisters, etc. who have several children and may not be experts in all but have many quick solutions to the situation.
Webmd
Because they have no common sense or maybe they are just scared of doctors, all I know is that you should always use a trained professional before relying on an online Q%26amp;A
sometimes advice is good, like what side of your body was the most comfortable to sleep on, etc.....but people kill me when they ask, what type of prenatals shoud i take, or is it okay for me to exercise strenuously wheni am 6 months preg? ASK YOUR OB, for the love of all that is holy, WE ARE NOT MDs, WE ARE IDIOTS!!!!
They may find somebody who experienced the same thing.


I have high blood pressure and have found a lot of good advice as to what I should eat and should not eat.
They're hoping to find a person who may have experienced the same symptoms and can offer that perspective.
I agree with both of the above. I asked a medical question once, and I got a lot of informative answers from people who experienced the same thing. I even got one from a doctor!
I'm assuming because either they are: A.) Too (insert mood here) to go to a doctor or; B.) Casually curious.





Now if it's a possible ';life-threatening'; question... then I can only imagine what possessed them to come here. I'm sure Webmd.com is much more imformative...or even going to an actual physician.
It's free... Everyone likes the word Free, not to mention some of what people (total strangers) Could be writing base on their own experiences, I mean let's face it, as much as we'd like to think WE are individuals the truth is we are individual people with the SAME problems everywhere... How lucky is that
Many people like myself have no money or medical insurance. In this ';wonderful'; state of Illinois where I live, they don't care about the poor. Unless we are disabled or pregnant the state does not give us medical aid. Being employed for minimum wage, I cannot afford to purchase my own insurance. There are alot of people in this situation like me. The health department advertises that they care but unless someone has been there, they don't know what it is like. You wait for hours, (after waiting a month or two for the appointment) the doctor comes and has you describe symptoms, rarely he runs tests, and then he starts to write furiously on prescription pad for meds you have to purchase at full price (unless it's one of those rare meds they have on hand in samples) and finally youre back at square 1 but with a whole lot less money and not cured.


Yes we can go to the hospital with these symptoms, as soon as they find out you don't have insurance (i swear there must be an alert in our files lol) they do as little as possible and send you home with no diagnosis or an incorrect one. The hospital nearly let me die once doing this.





The reason some ask all these questions on line (at least why I do) is for 2 reasons.


1. To know what to tell the doctor what to look for.


2. To find out if its something they can try to take care of at home.


3. To know what they can do until this dr. appt. if necessary.





As for the pregnant ones, I don't know why they do because there is plenty of medical care (free or not free) for pregnant women.
I am not sure why they would but if you use it and take the anwsers with a grain of salt you might find some info or links that are good.. If it was about preganacy I would suggest getting first medical treatment.. get your prenatal exams fast and follow eating guidelines... sign up for WIC and get a copy of the book called what to expect when your expect when your expecting... good fun recorse... some of us are not psychos and have some knowledge that is legimitate... but good question ..
It never ceases to amaze me. I've seen loads of post with people in pain and various other ailments. Why do they ask about it on here. It's crazy.
some of us just like to help people and pass on some insights of our own experience. That being said I would never give out medical advice except maybe to see their local physician
I am astonished that people do that. I can't believe a lot of what I have encountered here. Someday, I expect to read ';Help, my kid has stopped breathing, what should I do?';
because people fear doc visits, because they r too simple n trustin, and becuase this is free.. :).. what else can i say?
lots of reasons


~They could be embarrassed to ask someone in real life.


~They hope someone else has gone through the same thing.


~They can not get in or afford to go to a doctor.


~They just felt this way and it's not life threatening and want some opinions.
Simple....Experience. If others have gone through the same experiences, sometimes a little wisdom and empathy goes a long way. But I honestly hope that this place isn't THE ONLY source they are getting their information from. =:O
  • expensive makeup
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment