Saturday, July 31, 2010

To people asking for tax advice on Yahoo answers?

Are you aware that at least half of the answers to your questions are not accurate? I have been reading the questions and answers for US taxes for several weeks now and I am astounded at the amount of WRONG answers. Most of these tax questions can't be answered properly without more information from the asker. Giving outright wrong answers is irresponsible. I would advise all people seeking tax advice to go to irs.gov or your state website and READ the instructions for the forms you need. Perhaps a better question for askers would be ';What forms do I need for (fill in the blank)';? Or if you really want advice be more specific with your questions or use the ';additional information'; feature to add details to your question.To people asking for tax advice on Yahoo answers?
I've noticed the same thing myself, though there are some correct answers on here. It's like this in any category though, 50-75% incorrect answers. People just answer without doing any research or showing where they get their info from. Without a source, I'd be skeptical of ANY answer I receive on Yahoo! Answers, in this section or any other.To people asking for tax advice on Yahoo answers?
RamsGod complains about 'yoyos that think a link to a googled IRS site qualifies as an answer'. When self proclaimed CPAs say claim X on line Y of form Z and the instructions for form Z say X is not deductible, I'll take the IRS site any day.

Report Abuse



I think a good link to an IRS document settles any debate on the issue and lends credence to the answer.

Report Abuse



Yes, I realize I may get a lot of far out answers but one might at least lead me in the right direction. That is all I need. Thanks for your concern.
In all seriousness, I really wish people who have no tax experience whatsoever would stop answering questions. I am an EA, there are a slew of CPA's that check here, and some Tax Preparers as well. The rest of you community college Accounting students and general ';I want 2 points for answering a question'; yoyos that think a link to a googled IRS site qualifies as an answer, please stop. Stay on the general categories and answer Ashley Simpson polls or teenage love questions.
I definitely agree, there are far too many wrong answers being given out. I hope the people asking these tax questions take the answers with a grain of salt and go to the irs site to ask questions and do research. I also recommend getting Pub 17, it is very helpful. I am a tax preparer, but I will not give tax advice, to much chance for errors. After all what was law last year, chances are has been changed for this year.
AMEN!!!!! I agree - it's scary how many wrong answers there are - either outdated rules, or just plain wrong. If anyone is really depending on these answers, they could really get messed up on their taxes. It seems about half of the answers are incorrect. I guess it gets pretty obvious, when the question is ';can I....'; and half the answers say no and half say yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment