Saturday, July 31, 2010

I need some advice, from teachers and reg people?

I wrote a poem:


I think everyone would hear me better if I didn't talk at all,


instead of moans and groans of pain just hear the tear drops fall.


Perhaps if I said nothinig, they'd hear my voice more clearly,


if there were no word to be heard, they'd listen more then merely.


Ear shattering silence, echoing voice so meager,


no matter how quiet, they'll never hear me-so why am I so eager?


My words don't mean a thing, not matter what I don't say,


I don't care how large the cost, for silence I will pay.


I want to yell, I want to scream, I want to let them know,


but I can't find my voice, I wish it'd tell me where to go.


Silence is so loud, when there's nothing there to hear,


serenity and peace, pounding in my ear.


Silence isn't simple, a very complex case,


just keep running to catch up, a marathon sprinter's pace.


Seal your mouth, bite your tongue, keep it very still,


don't want the volcano to explode, a vocabulary spill.I need some advice, from teachers and reg people?
I think it's a nice poem.





If you handed it in to me (I teach ninth-grade English) I would ask to talk to you to be sure you're okay. Everyone gets a little depressed sometimes or feels misunderstood; I'd just want to find out if there was anything more serious you wanted help with.





I'd also be curious about why you feel that you're ';Shattered.'; My nickname, hoptoad, is because Pippi Longstocking was my first literary heroine, and her father's pirate ship was named the Hoptoad. See, that tells you something about me--what does ';Shattered'; tell me about you?





I'd also want to tell you about opportunities at my school for people who like to write--literary magazine, creative writing class, contest to enter, etc.





PS Teacher are ';reg people,'; too--really!I need some advice, from teachers and reg people?
It would depend on what your behavior is like in class. I can certainly remember life as a 13yr old and it isn't easy. Emotionally it can be devastating sometimes.


I wouldn't judge a student who wrote this poem and handed it in to me, but I might keep my eye out to make sure I wasn't seeing any abnormal or different behaviors from this student in class that would signal a red flag.
That's very good writing esp. for someone your age. Story of my life, I can relate to that, I have a low voice and nobody can hear me. When I was a kid I would come home in tears sometimes, I would be so frustrated with trying to be heard.





Word of advice, don't show it to just any teacher, or read it in front of a class. My little sister wrote one poem like that when she was your age and she was thrown in the ';behaviorally challenged'; class. (She got back out of course, but it was an ordeal) They are hyper-sensitive about kids expressing themselves sometimes. Of course if you are seriously depressed or suicidal than you can talk to a counselor, but everybody gets down and needs to express themselves.





Here is somewhere where you can share poetry.





http://www.thepoetsanctuary.net/
From a teacher - excellent poem! Can you talk to the teacher you want to show this to? Do you trust him/her? Some teachers will respect your privacy and not share your work with the class unless you want them to. This poem is yours and it's your choice to share it or not. If you decide not to share the poem, please keep it; you may want to share it at a later date. Good luck and jkeep writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment