Thursday, July 29, 2010

I am looking for advice for a good charity to help the poor and wondering what people think of World Vision?

I am not a Christian so would prefer a non-denomination organization or at least one that does not push a particular religion. The most important aspects are the percentage of money that gets to the people who need it and also promoting practices such as farming that are environmentally friendly and sustainable. I have been giving money to World Vision for years but when I see some of the pictures of the farming practices, I wonder how much planning is going into sustainable practices. Thanks.I am looking for advice for a good charity to help the poor and wondering what people think of World Vision?
I think very highly of World Vision and have been sponsoring a child for years through them. They are based on Christian principles but help everyone, regardless of religion and do not push Christianity on them at all. I've seen several of their projects in the Middle East (helping both Christians and Muslims) and Africa and was impressed with how they are helping to make the communities sustainable.





As far as farming, I visited a project of theirs in the Gaza Strip. It was a permaculture program where they are growing food with little water since water is so scarce there and the sea is salty so doesn't work for farming without desalination.I am looking for advice for a good charity to help the poor and wondering what people think of World Vision?
Care International and World Vision are great organizations. You may also want to take a look at Kids Against Hunger Metro Atlanta, www.KAHAtlanta.org

Report Abuse



Donate locally. You have more control of how your money is spent. Big charities have big salaries...
I prefer Care International, because it is NOT a religious organization, and is focused on activities that will lead to education and sustainable incomes for women and girls -- those who are most affected by poverty. I'm so impressed with their success in the developing world, as well as their focus.





I'm also a supporter of Madre.org, for similar reasons.
I'm not a Christian either but support a child through them. You will hear good and bad about most charities, people have told me WV rips people off, however,my grandparents have sponsored children since I was a kid, and now they are successful, and helping others out now that they can. I say go for it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment