Tuesday, November 22, 2011

I'd like some advice from people who have been there about living in your car.?

My reason for this is I don't have any money saved to rent an apartment just yet. I have to move to a city to get a job. I have a 2 friends that I can sleep some nights with but don't have the room to house me everynight. (They are living 2 adults and 1 child in a studio apartment with no walls.) It's gonna get really cold where I live but have no choice. My current situation is my family lives in the middle of nowhere and I can't find any jobs here. I am going to a city a couple hours from my parents home so if I need anything they aren't far. This doesn't seem safe, sane or ideal I know but it's a last resort. P.S I'm a female under 25. I just want advice, this is what I need to do to better my life. I know people have done this for a month or so.I'd like some advice from people who have been there about living in your car.?
What you need to do is to contact the local women's shelter in the place where you are going to be moving, and see what sort of resources they have.





I would also consider contacting churches in the area, about what sort of resources they have, and the Salvation Army.





Try Covenant House as well... they would know what sort of resources are available. http://www.covenanthouse.org/





This is a REALLY dumb idea, as I'm sure you understand. Sweetheart, you are a rape (if not rape/murder) victim in the making, and if you try this without having a job lined up ahead of time... well you are setting yourself up for a career in prositution as well. You'll find yourself broke, desperate, hungry, and you'll take a job dancing in a club, or try doing tricks ';just this once';... and then it is all down hill from there.





That's if you are lucky and don't just get raped and murdered.





And you do have other choices. If you are really broke and live in a place with no jobs you can try the Army, http://www.army.mil/armylife/wellbeing/ or the Air Force, http://www.af.mil/ or the Peace Corps even.http://www.peacecorps.gov/





It would be a lot safer than what you are planning.I'd like some advice from people who have been there about living in your car.?
Stay with your parents and drive the car.


A long commute sucks, but it's better than freezing or worse.


Spend a few nights with your friends to save some gas money if you must, but don't sleep in the car.
I would normally never suggest to a woman under twenty-five to be living in her car in a city somewhere but since I have done it, I will try to give some pointers. Figure out where you are going to sleep...in your front seat, back seat, etc and make sure there is nothing around you so you can at least be comfortable. Sleeping blanket or blankets and a pillow depending on the temperature. Either find somewhere in the middle of nowhere to sleep in your car or somewhere busy like a mall or hotel parking lot so you won't be disturbed or out in front of this apartment you may be able to sleep in occasionally, depending on the neighbourhood. A source of water and some mouthwash for brushing your teeth in the morning. Some sort of protection possibly...mace, stun gun, baseball bat, whatever is legal in your area. Fully tinted windows and a window mask for the windshield would keep peekers out and the sun out in the mornings. Try to give your friends a few bucks when you get a job, tell them you appreciate them letting you shower, use the bathroom, whatever until you save enough to get your own place. I wish you luck and be careful.

No comments:

Post a Comment