Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Are there any dentists or oral health people online, could do with your advice urgently?

ok my gums are shrinking, ive noticed my teeth elongating, they sometimes bleed when i brush my teeth, i think its gum disease, is there anyway i can treat them, i use mouth wash daily, i really dont want to lose my teeth! im really worried, and im booking a trip to the dentist tomorrow..


what could happen if i dont go to the dentist?Are there any dentists or oral health people online, could do with your advice urgently?
No, you cannot treat it on your own. There is no cure. You doctor can control it. You doctor will give you a deep cleaning and prescribe a mouthwash. And you may have to go in for cleaning more often, every 3-4 months. Use soft bristle brushes from now on. I switched to a Sonicare, more plaque out but less ';scrubing'; effort. Floss, floss, floss. Even if it bleeds. It is very common so there are treatments your doctor can use. Brushes only brush the top of the teeth and barely reach below the gumline which is why reg cleanings are very important. If you do not get it taken care of, you move on to the next stage of gum disease. Severely swollen gums, teeth moved because of the gums, deep space in between teeth where more plaque can collect and eventually tooth loss. Or gum surgery to save your teeth. The good thing is if you caught it early then it can be controlled. Your doctor is trained to handle these and they see it all the time. So be confident they'll give you the best possible treatment. Ask as many questions as you can, I even asked for a training on how to brush my teeth correctly. Good luck!Are there any dentists or oral health people online, could do with your advice urgently?
Get into the dentist!


You also need a soft bristle brush as over brushing and harsh bristles cause the gums to recede more.


I would also recomend rinsing with hydrogen peroxide for 5 minutes a night. It might tingle and takes awhile to rinse out but worth the clean!
If it is in fact periodontal disease, you CAN NOT treat it at home. Periodontal disease has no cure. There are only treatments to keep it from getting worse. The only approved procedure to regrow bone that you have lost is called a Periolase. It is very expensive, but NOTHING else will regrow bone lost by periodontal disease.





Sorry, but you really do need to go to your dentist. Gums are not suppose to bleed when you brush them. That is not healthy. If you do nothing or try to resolve the problem at home, you will probably end up starting to loose your teeth within the next 10 yrs or so.
as we age our gums do tend to shrink making our teeth look longer. BE SURE TO FLOSS 2 times a day as well as brush. Your dentist may recommend that you see a periodontist. Follow his or her advice! It is worth everything to keep your teeth.





I had this same problem for years, it cost me approx 5 thousand dollars.I have had to had bonding and a root canal. Since I had all the work done, I have remained vigilant in dental care. But my gums do not bleed any more and my teeth are in great shape! Good Luck!





Note: if you are only 18 and you are having these problems I strongly urge you to get to the dentist and keep all appointments. My perio told me our teeth should last a lifetime (one of my neighbors is 86 and she has ALL her teeth still)...Again, Good Luck to you!
I'm no dentist so if it were me I'd go to the dentist and until you do stop using the mouth wash and use salted water, I was told at the hospital that some of the mouth washes can irritate as there are lots of chemicals, if the dentist gives you some then it's OK only till you go and see him, which you should then stop be careful you could be doing more harm than good. Good luck
glad you have asked that because i have noticed that on two of my teeth x
Sounds like you have perio, you need professional cleaning to stop any further damage, you need to floss and keep teeth exceptionally clean other wise you will lose them.
I'm no dentist but it sounds like you have receding gums, my sister-in-law has the same

No comments:

Post a Comment