Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Advice for us poor people with crutches?

I have crutches as of two days ago and will need them for a few more days. My arms are more sore than my injured foot! Do you have any advice for making walking with crutches less painful (to your arms, abs, un-injured foot)? Please help, I'm getting desperate here!Advice for us poor people with crutches?
hey crippled (she is my friend)


I think you should tell everyone around u that u will be crippled forever to get out of p.e.


Advice for everyone dont step on nails they will hurt really badly like my friend here. She stepped on some nails and no one cared about het. Hope ur foot is better nowAdvice for us poor people with crutches?
Don't use the crutches under your armpits. You are suppose to move them using your hands. I would think the Dr would have told you to take it easy and don't ';walk'; around if you don't have to. Sit down and watch TV and relax. It will be back to the same old same old soon enough.
THIS IS A SIMPLE, YOU MUST PLACE MOST OF THE WEIGHT-BEARING ON THE HANDLES USING THE ARMPIT PARTS TO STEADY THE CRUTCH. THIS WAY YOUR BODY WEIGHT WILL BE EVENLY DISTRIBUTED. THE ARMPITS CAN BEAR THE WEIGHT OF THE BODY ONLY AS YOU TRANSFER YOUR WEIGHT AS YOU STEP FORWARD.


THE REAL KEY IS TO MAKE SURE THAT YOU DISTRIBUTE YOUR WEIGHT EVENLY BETWEEN THE HAND, ARMPIT AND FOOT. ALSO BE SURE THE HEIGHT FOR YOUR STATURE IS PROPERLY ADJUSTED. PRACTICE, ALSO YOU'LL GET BETTER THE MORE YOU USE THEM. GOOD LUCK.
I just graduated to a cane not too long ago. Having a shoulder replacement compounded my problem with crutches. I found that if I put most of my weight on the hands instead of the armpits I could go for longer periods of time before I had to rest. There is no easy solution. Good luck. I'm now married to the cane for the rest of my life.
DO NOT hold the crutches under your armpits, it may seem harder to do it with your arm strength but using your under arms may cause nerve damage. Like mentioned above try not to walk if its not completely necessary. If you do need to go long distances don't be afraid to stop and take a breather if you need to. If you really get desperate and your late or something ask somebody to lend you a shoulder and then you aren't as dependent on the crutches.





Good luck
After dislocating my knee, I was on crutches for almost a week. I too was bothered under my arms. I added some sponge cushioning to the crutches and it helped...ALOT!!


Good luck and I hope your off those sooooooonnnnn!!!!!!!!!
take it easy... Don't do what you don't need to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment